Happy daylight saving time day! As a third-shift worker, I have kind of a love/hate relationship with DST — I love the spring, when the clocks move forward an hour and I get to leave work (technically) an hour early and I hate it in the fall when I get stuck at work for an extra hour (ok, I get paid for it, which makes up for the hour I don’t get paid for in the spring but still…).
So, upshot? I’m home an hour early from work! And it is light-jacket cold out! And it didn’t snow (there was a possibility of flurries tonight).
Maybe this spring thing will happen this month after all…
# # # # #
Went over to the girlfriend’s mom’s place yesterday and watched Gravity with the family. Here is my spoiler-free review: Wow, that was awesome! There was a bit of a split among us about whether the ending was a good one or not — personally, I think it worked and was nicely understated. I liked the decision to keep the story focused on the astronauts.
# # # # #
Personal Goals: Since these are the same as they’ve been the last few times, suffice to say that I am continuing to do what I’m supposed to be doing as far as my diet goes — or at least, doing my best to do what I’m supposed to do. Giving myself injections has continued to be easy and relatively painless. I went to the dentist on Thursday only to find out that they lost my appointment so the cleaning has been rescheduled for this Tuesday, which works out better since I can recuperate at home without worrying about having to go to work. And I got a pedometer so I can track my steps. I am, so far, averaging about 1,000 steps a day so yeah, I need to ramp up the walking considerably to get to 10,000 steps a day.
- Defcon: Fade Out has hit Chapter Twenty! I’ve upped my estimate of chapters to twenty-five or thirty so this is no longer the end goal that it originally was but I’m still making progress so I am happy!
- Word Count: I’m at somewhere in the range of 74,000 words. My goal now is to try and hit 100K by the end of the month and to use that as a stopping point for this draft if I don’t have an ending by then. If I can hit 75K tomorrow, I should be able to make it if I average about 1200 words for the rest of the month.
- Ending: Still working on this. And I’m thinking that I might need to take a break from the manuscript and come back with fresh eyes. Which brings us to…
- Rest of the Defcon Series: more on this in a minute.
Goals for this week:
- Keep my appointment for getting my teeth cleaned and make an appointment for my root canal. — still need to do that. I’m honestly not putting it off for any reason other than I keep waking up too late to call.
- Keep working on Defcon: Fade Out and aiming for 75K by tonight.
- Be better about checking in with other folks; I let that slide the last couple check ins and I want to apologize to you guys for that. I will be better about that this time around.
Plans for Next Round:
Specifically April. Originally, I was thinking about trying the A to Z challenge in April but I can’t really think of a topic for each letter. Instead, what I’m now planning on doing is using April as a month for working on worldbuilding for Defcon — mainly because so many of the notes I’m making to myself about it are related to questions about the world. I’m using Patricia C. Wrede’s Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions as well as Lee Killough’s book Checking On Culture and some other resources to come up with a list of questions/topics I want to answer/focus on. A secondary part of the plan is to organize some of the materials I’ve come up with. Tentatively, the plan is to post snippets/progress updates rather than post full on articles. Particularly since most of the information will be of little interest but me but also because most of it is going to be written by hand while I’m at work rather than typed up.
I’m hoping to use this as a chance to take a break from story writing and then come back to start typing Defcon: Fade Out up in May with fresh eyes.
Powered by Linky Tools, A Round of Words in 80 Days is the writing challenge that knows you have a life. You can learn more here and if you want to join, you can Click Here to view this Linky Tools list and to enter your own link as well!